Our organization is one of the largest ethnic organizations in the southeastern United States. From its inception through today, we have worked to educate Italian Americans in southeastern Louisiana and the Gulf Coast concerning the culture, history, traditions and benefits of Italian heritage. Over the past 50 years, we have stimulated the Italian community to remember and celebrate their shared experiences, traditions, identities, struggles, and aspirations.
Our scholarship program rewards those high school and college aged students who demonstrate a desire to learn and share the values of Italian culture with other younger people to foster and build a sense of community.
In order to be eligible for consideration of an IASJS scholarship an applicant must meet the following criteria at the time of application submission:
- A high school or college student age 16 to 20;
- A United States citizen or a permanent resident alien;
- Enrolled in an accredited high school or college;
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 scale, or a 3.75 out of a 5.0 scale;
- Complete and submit application and forms by the applicable deadline;
- Be available on day of recognition of the award April 1st 12pm;
- Have a parent or grandparent of Italian heritage; and
- Not have an immediate* family member who is (i) on the IASJS’s Scholarship Selection Committee, (ii) an officer of the IASJS, (iii) a director of the IASJS, or (iv) a substantial contributor to the IASJS.
* “Immediate” is defined as father, grandfather, great-grandfather, uncle, great-uncle, sibling, cousin, or in-law whether by blood, adoption, or marriage.
Each year, the IASJS will present up to three (3) $1,000.00 scholarships to qualified applicants. The IASJS Scholarship Selection Committee reviews each applicant’s transcripts, community service forms, and essay submissions in making its determinations. Applicants may also be interviewed by the IASJS Scholarship Selection Committee.
If you know an eligible student interested in applying for an IASJS scholarship, please complete the scholarship application form below. All applications must be submitted by April 1, 2021. Scholarship recipients will be announced at the IASJS’s annual Celebration of the Feast of St. Joseph events in March 2020. The decisions of the IASJS Scholarship Selection Committee are final.